A care home in Doncaster were told to leave by Doncaster Council due to concerns about safety failings.
Residents of Warneford House, Doncaster, were told on 3 August they ‘needed to be moved for their safety’ and were allocated a social worker to help them choose alternative accommodation.
The Express reported the residents were forced to leave by little more than the clothes they were wearing in ambulances and taxis.
A spokesperson for Doncaster Council said: “We stepped in to move people out of Warneford House, which specialises in dementia care. The decision to close the home was made with the knowledge of the home owners and residents had until the end of the day to move.”
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) was aware of concerns made by families and the council. They had planned to carry out an inspection the week beginning the 6 August but Doncaster Council then made the decision to move residents.
A CQC spokesperson said: “CQC was not involved in Doncaster Council’s decision, but we are currently reviewing evidence supplies by its partner agencies in order to determine whether any further action is required in the interests of those using services.”
The decision has been met with negative feedback by many including the GMB union who called it a ‘scandalous situation.’
The Express reported residents were forced to leave in ambulances and taxis with only the clothes they were wearing after the shock closure.
“This is the clearest evidence you need of the crisis in the care sector. Throwing the most vulnerable members of our society out onto the street is absolutely deplorable – and an act for which the council should be ashamed,” said Jan Shortt, general secretary of the National Pensioners Convention.
Caroline Abrahams, charity director at Age UK, said: “This is terrible and should never have happened. Care homes are entrusted to care for some of the most frail and vulnerable older people in our society and moving them at such short notice would have been hugely distressing and such a shock that it would have threatened their health and wellbeing and, for some, even their survival.”
The home has been in operation since at least 2011, had 27 residents, and was registered in December 2017 and had not been inspected at the time of evacuation.